In This Article
Getting to know someone new can be difficult for some people and they can have problems connecting with them. But conversation starters are one of the best ways to get to know a person. Asking these questions or complimenting them can send them signals that you want to know them better.
When trying to know more about a new work colleague, a new classmate, or even a new neighbor, you might want to ask them questions about their family or their hobbies first.
Keep it light in the beginning and ask casual questions to know the person better. You can later move on to personal questions as they are appropriate when you know the person a little better.
Remember that people enjoy being around someone who is kind and friendly and not a person who is always negative or extremely serious.
Instead of asking random or boring questions, we have prepared a list of some awesome getting-to-know-you questions that will allow you to have a meaningful interaction.
Deep Personal Questions
These questions will help you discover the other side of a person which you never knew. These questions will help you to open a person up because normally people hide their emotions.
They will help you discover their personality traits, and opinions about different things in life. Also, these questions will help you uncover their past experiences and achievements.
It can be a bit tricky to get answers to these questions in the first meet-up.
- What is your purpose in life?
- Where do you see yourself in the next three years?
- What would your ideal vacation look like?
- What is the first thing that comes to your mind when we say the word "success?"
- Do you prefer to be more private or are you active on social media?
- If you are feeling unmotivated, what gets you going?
- What is the biggest lie you have ever told? Do you feel guilty about it?
- What is the most difficult thing you’ve ever done? Are you proud of it?
- Is there anything that scares you most about your future? What is it?
- Have you ever been in a physical fight? What was the reason behind it?
- Is there a place in the world that you feel represents you?
- What is the meaning of your name?
- Are you afraid of something that you know is super irrational? Why?
- How can someone regain your trust?
- What color would you choose to describe yourself? Why?
- What's the first thing you do when you wake up?
- Do you want to be remembered? How?
- What gives you goosebumps and why?
- What’s your go-to song when traveling?
- What’s your worst habit? Do you plan to change it?
- What is your biggest turn-on in a person?
- What's the last new skill you learned? How did you learn it?
- If you could change something about yourself, what and why would you change it?
- What’s your go-to guilty pleasure?
- What's one thing you would never want to change about your life?
- What's one thing that annoys you the most?
- What job would you be terrible at? Why?
- What’s been on your mind lately? Is there any reason behind it?
- What’s on your bucket list this year?
- What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? And why do you call it lucky?
- How decisive or indecisive are you?
- What are you absolutely determined to do? Why do you want to do it?
- What was something you've done that made you experience extreme happiness?
- How can someone lose or earn your trust?
- What was the best phase in your life? Why do you consider it the best?
- What's the most daring thing you've ever done? Do you plan to do it again?
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given? Who was it from?
- What’s your ideology about life?
- How different was your life one year ago? Why did it change?
- What energizes you and brings you excitement?
- Are you confrontational or argumentative?
- What are some things you’ve had to unlearn? Why did you want to unlearn them?
- Do you want to be famous? If yes, what is something that can make you famous?
- What have you only recently formed an opinion about?
- What is a dream you have that you’ve yet to achieve? Do you plan to achieve it as soon as possible?
- What makes you feel at peace?
- What is the most heartwarming thing you’ve ever seen? When was it?
- Has anything ever happened to you that you could not, and cannot, explain? What happened?
- What do you think people automatically assume about you when they look at you?
- Have you ever had a completely transformational moment in life? What was it?
- Are you a tech-savvy person? What's one gadget that you want to buy as soon as possible?
- How do you kill boredom?
- What's your comfort food?
- Do you sing well or are you a bathroom singer?
- Which daily hassles give you the most stress?
Interesting Questions: Get to Know Someone Better
Questions to help you break the ice and know someone better.
These questions will uncover their creativity and help you know more about their hobbies and the unusual things that they do. So go ahead, ask these questions, and know the person even better.
- In your opinion, what are some things that are okay to do occasionally but not okay to do every day?
- Have you ever given a presentation in front of a large group of people? When was it? How did it go?
- Approximately how much time do you spend on the internet? What do you usually do?
- If you could erase one event from history, which one would you erase and why?
- If you had to live in the world of the last TV show you watched, where would you be living and what will you be doing?
- If you could spend a day in someone else’s shoes, whose would they be? Why?
- What’s the maximum number of hours you’ve gone without sleeping and why?
- What would you sing at karaoke night?
- What movie title best describes your life? Why did you choose this movie?
- Knowing what you know now, what advice would you give your 18-year-old self?
- If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?
- What is the one craziest thing you would want to do again?
- Do you consider yourself good at socializing?
- What mystery do you wish you knew the answer to?
- Do you prefer to collect anything such as tickets or coins?
- Can you name one thing that you wish should come back into fashion?
- What was something that you loved eating as a child but don't like much now?
- What is one thing you could spend all your money on?
- What would you do with the extra time if you could survive without sleeping?
- What would your warning label say?
- What is the one thing without which you cannot spend your day?
- Would you rather trade intelligence for looks or looks for intelligence?
- What is something that you are proud of but never told anyone about it?
- What’s something weird that you recommend everyone tries at least once? Did you try it yourself?
- What song best describes you? Is it from your favorite singer?
- On a scale of 1-10, how serious would you say you are?
- If you could join any past or current music band, which would you want to join?
- If given a portal to travel, where would you like to go instantly?
- If you have a time travel machine, which point in time you would love to travel to?
- What thing in life if completely taken out will not make you angry at all?
- If given a potion to bring the dead back to life, whom will you choose?
- If given one chance to murder someone, who will you murder right away?
- How do you manage your anger?
- Are you a party person? What would you prefer your party to be like?
- If you have a chance to play one character in a movie, what will you choose?
- Do you play indoor games? Which ones are your favorite?
- What's the one evergreen song for you? The one you never get tired of listening to?
- What is your most irritable habit?
- Are you a procrastinator? Are you a strict schedule follower?
- Were you a backbencher in college or did you prefer being first in class in the first row, and the teacher's favorite?
- Who was your recent crush?
- What was one thing you were most scolded for in school?
- What day of the week do you hate the most?
- Have you ever had an answer to what came first, egg or chicken?
- Do you remember how the internet started back in the day? Dial ups connections?
- Do you remember the first ever email that you received in a mailbox?
- What was your first ever personal phone?
- What was the first-ever movie you saw? Your earliest memories?
- What's one movie that you can watch over and over again?
- If you are asked to eat one thing for your entire life, what will you prefer to eat?
Rapid Fire: Getting to Know Questions
Sometimes, simple rapid-fire questions spice up and make the entire time fun to spend. (You can keep the conversation going by asking why to their answers.)
- Sunset or sunrise?
- Mountain or sea?
- Rainfall or snowfall?
- Flowers or chocolates?
- Pepsi or Coke?
- Pizza or burger?
- Travel to the past or the future?
- Books or movies?
- All-day breakfast or breakfast in the morning only?
- Morning hike or late-night party?
- Early morning person or late night owl?
- Introvert or extrovert?
- Long drive or indoors?
- Chat or calls?
- Movie night with popcorn or some light dancing with music?
- City or countryside?
- Healthy food or junk food?
- Friends or How I met your mother?
- Vampires or dragons?
- Fault in Our Stars or A Walk to Remember?
Family Related Questions
Asking a person about their family helps us to know more about someone.
These questions will help you know whom the person loves the most in the family and how attached they are to their siblings, their earliest memories, childhood, etc.
- Whom are you attached most to, parents or grandparents?
- What is your earliest memory of playing with your father?
- Your most memorable birthday celebration with family?
- What is your most memorable family trip?
- What's one thing your mother or your father taught you that brought a significant change in your life?
- What personality traits do you have that are similar to those of your relatives?
- Has your family ever pressured you to act in a way that you were uncomfortable with?
- Does your family have a motto?
- What is your opinion about family events?
- Do you enjoy celebrating festivals with family and siblings?
- What's something that you do and your family is unaware of it?
- When was the last time you had a pillow fight with your siblings?
- Is your dad a good cook or is your mom the better one?
- What is one thing that makes you stand out amongst your siblings in front of your parents?
- Do you love your sisters more or brothers?
- Have you ever wanted a twin sibling?
- What is one thing that you still want your family to gift you?
- One thing that irritates you about your brothers and/or sisters?
- What is your idea of having the perfect family time?
- What do you do mostly whenever the family sits together?
Friendship Related Questions
With friends, our happiness magnifies, sadness diminishes and during their tough times, we reassure them that we will see them through their pain.
With friends being such an integral part of our lives, you may ask the following questions to figure out him/her, what he/she prefers with them, and how they spend their time.
Who knows, maybe answers to these questions will amplify your friendship with the person you're looking forward to asking these questions.
- Are your still close to your childhood friends as you were back in the day?
- Your most memorable birthday celebration with friends?
- What do you think of being best friends with the opposite gender?
- Are you still best friends with the person you were friends with in high school? If not, what happened?
- What benefit do you bring to your friend circle when you hang out with them?
- Do you share your secrets with everyone in the friend circle or is it one or two friends?
- What's the most memorable trip with your friends?
- Have you ever hated someone only to have that person become one of your reliable friends?
- When was the last time you cooked with friends?
- What is your favorite hangout spot with your friends?
- What is the weirdest thing you have done with a friend(s)?
- Ever been in trouble because of your friends? If yes, what happened?
- Do you have a friend who is also your parents' favorite?
- What is your favorite pastime activity with friends?
- What's one thing you have excelled in, with the help of your friends?
- What's the craziest thing you have done with your friends?
- When was the last time you had a party with friends?
- Are your friends nature lovers? Do you love to explore nature with them?
- Are your friends a guiding torch to you or are you the same to them?
- Ever had a fight among friends? How was it sorted?
- Has anyone of your friend been a bad influence on you? How did you get rid of it?
- Any of your friends ghosted you? How did you manage that?
- Whenever you're stressed, how do your friends lift you up?
- Do you, as friends, share the same life goals?
- How different are your friends, in terms of temperament, from each other?
Questions to Know Their Likes/Dislikes
It is important to know more about what a person likes or dislikes.
You can ask basic questions such as about their favorite genre of books, movies, songs, or what food they love to eat. This not only gives you an idea about the person but also helps you get along with them in the future.
Here is a list of simple questions to know more about a person's preferences.
- What is your favorite sport? Do you like watching it or playing it?
- What’s your favorite concert that you’ve ever been to? Where was it held?
- Which song can change your mood in minutes?
- Do you like surprises? Why or why not?
- Have you ever liked something and then changed your mind?
- What songs have you completely memorized? Are those songs from your favorite singer?
- How do you take your coffee in the morning? Do you prefer it to black or with milk?
- What’s your favorite part of the workday and why?
- Which one do you like more: painting or sketching?
- What's your favorite food that you tried in a foreign country?
- Do you enjoy any weird smells? Such as paints, wet ground after rain, etc.?
- What’s something you like to do the old-fashioned way?
- Do you prefer cats or dogs?
- Which genre of shows do you like?
- Do you like reading books? What is your favorite book?
- What is the one food that you can't eat at all and hate the sight of it?
- Do you like being the center of attention or do you prefer a corner spot when you are in a group of people/friends?
- Where do you like to spend most of your weekends?
- Whom do you like more: mom or dad?
- Which car do you like the most? Your dream car?
There might be chances that you are trying to know someone better on your first-ever date or you might be trying to eventually date someone.
The following questions will help you give a better idea of how a person sees relationships generally in life and what the person prefers in a relationship.
- Four unique qualities that you find super attractive in a person?
- How do you prioritize someone in life?
- What's one thing that touched you about a person?
- How do you fix arguments quickly?
- How do you perceive your relationships in life with people, generally? Long-term or come and go?
- What do you think makes people fight?
- What do you think is essential for a person to live boldly?
- Do you believe in sharing previous traumas in a new relationship?
- How do you like to give surprises?
- 1 rare question you think instantly transforms any relationship?
- What failure do you think can be the best learning lesson in any relationship?
- Do you believe in having personal space and privacy in relationships?
- 3 habits you'd really like in your soul mate?
- Any behavior that scares you off from a person?
- Are you a good listener or want to be heard generally?
- How easy-going are you?
- Do you believe in long-distance relationships?
- What is one thing you believe makes a relationship last?
- Do you believe in zodiac signs' compatibility in a relationship?
- What physical features do you find extremely attractive in a person?
- Would you rather like to cook or want your favorite food cooked by your soul mate?
- Would you rather be approached by someone or approach someone yourself in a relationship?
- What do you think breaks trust in a relationship?
- What's one thing that turns you off about people generally?
- Do you believe in love at first sight?
- Do you think that everything's fair in love and war?
- What romantic movie you'd like to watch for the first time with your life partner?
- What fun activity you'd like to do with your soul mate?
- Ever had a heartbreak? How did you get over that?
- Ever been ghosted by your loved ones?
Whenever we meet someone new who seems great, we want to know more about them as soon as possible. However, asking a lot of questions is not the only key. Listening to them and paying attention to what they answer is also important.
Their replies will let you know more about their intentions and their opinions which will allow you to know them well.
You can also ask the Would you rather do this or that questions or funny deep questions to further open them up.
We hope that the questions written above will help you brainstorm even more for a great evening that you are about to have with that person!